Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Safari: Coming to an End


            Today we got to sleep in and then we left to come back to Lilongwe.  Our driver decided that he wanted to drive extra fast on the way home, which would normally be a good thing, but today it was kind of scary.  Also, going faster over all of the bumps was not very pleasant.  We were all confused as to why he was driving the way that he was, but there was nothing that we could do about it. 
            On our way back, we stopped at a place called Tribal Textiles.  This place sells all kinds of textiles that are handmade by local Zambians.  They are foreigners who have come in and opened up this place along the path that tourists will drive past on their way to go on safari.  Then, they employed the locals to begin making the textiles.  This provides the locals with a steady job, while also providing a great shop full of genuine souvenirs for the tourists. 
            I think that the Tribal Textiles place could be seen as a social venture because it is providing greater stability for the community through providing good paying jobs for the locals.  Unfortunately, we didn’t get to hear anything about whether the owners are large participants in the community or not, but by bringing in the tourists, there is a greater likelihood for more infrastructure to come. 
            As we continued down the road in our bus, I thought about something that was a little bit heavier.  There we were, driving along, listening to our music and I am sure that we were passing countless villages, families, people who are starving and simply struggling to survive.  I am so blessed and there are so many who are less fortunate than me, but yet I live like everyone is as well off as me.  When I am back in America, I hear about people who are starving and it moves me to act, but I do not know what to do.  Now, I am here in the heart of Africa and I am still caught up with my own life and my own comfort.  It kind of disgusts me, but I don’t know what to do to change it.  I want to literally sacrifice everything that I have to bring glory to God and hopefully help others in the process, but yet I am unsure what it takes to truly act on that desire. 

What is a question that you have that you are curious about or are interested in that has not yet been answered?
I have been here at world camp for a week now, but I have yet to really see what exactly world camp does.  What is the main focus of World Camp and can you give examples to explain how that focus manifests itself through what you do?
What is something that is a concern or fear about being in Malawi or about the home stay or anything else that is pressing on your mind?
I have a fear that this trip to Malawi will be a great experience and I will look back on it and think of the different ways that it has shaped me, but that I will make it back to America and I will remember it mainly by the stamp in my passport.  I fear that I will leave and not continue in serving Malawi.
In terms of this group as a whole, what is something that you appreciate about the group? 
I appreciate the diversity of the group’s personalities, talents, and interests.  

No comments:

Post a Comment