Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Travel to Lilongwe


Today seemed like one of the longest days of my life.  My day started on Friday morning when I got up to go to work, only to stay up all night and drive down to Charlotte at two in the morning to make my flight by six.  We then flew to Washington and then to Addis Ababa.  From there we flew to Lilongwe, which is the capital city of Malawi.  Lilongwe is where World Camp is located.  World Camp is the non-profit organization that is hosting us and organizing much of the activities that we are participating in while here. 
Look at Addis Ababa from the airport.
            The longest flight was from Washington to Addis Ababa and it was between twelve and thirteen hours long.  I was really surprised, because I usually cannot sleep at all when I am flying, but this flight was different.  I had the ability to sleep for almost the entire way and it totally changed my perspective on long flights as well as the entire trip over here.

I worked hard to finish The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind on the last leg of our trip.

            The highlight of the trip over here was seeing the landscape of Africa!  I have never been to Africa before, so I really enjoyed being able to sit back and just take it all in.  When I am experiencing a new place, I typically am really quiet and to myself and observe everything.  As I am observing it all, I take in the things that are different than what I am used to as well as the things that are the same.  It is through this process that I begin to gain a better understanding and appreciation for the new place and culture that I am in.
                           

No comments:

Post a Comment